Bryan Hullihen Talks About Early Recovery from Addiction


My name is Bryan Hullihen and I have been sober now for several years. In fact, I haven't been sober for this long since I was 11 years old. Over the years I have tried sobriety so many times and have failed in so many ways. Sometimes I made the same mistake twice and other times I found myself high or drunk with no idea how I could’ve been so crazy to use again. The amount of times that I have been asked by my loved ones how I could be so inconsiderate to them or if I had any dignity left is staggering. The truth is I wanted a better life and I wanted to quit messing up but I would always find myself high after a moment of weakness when I blocked out all thoughts of loved ones, my future, my past, and anything that would have kept me from using. This is just one aspect of the thinking of an alcoholic and there exists a myriad of other examples that alcoholics use to explain how they want one thing but do the opposite. This is why so many of us feel weak, confused, and ashamed in early recovery; like our friends and loved ones we don't understand why we do what we do or how we could want one thing and do the opposite if we weren't weak or morally screwed up. I used to tell myself "Bryan Hullihen, it's not like you are trying to build a spaceship, just don't drink!" I felt like such a loser which did nothing but encourage more drinking. It wasn't until I truly understood that I was not going to win this fight without taking direction from those who knew better that I began to recover. It was my brain keeping me sick and my sick brain was not going to cure itself. After all I was the one who would somehow find myself drunk or high. I made those choices and I was to blame. I wasn't possessed even though at times I acted like it and if I had the ability to think at all I knew I could use it to follow directions. That is what it takes for us in early recovery. The ability to get out of our own ways and let others help us. My name is Bryan Hullihen and I am here to help you if you or a loved one is struggling with alcoholism. Reach out to me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/soberlivingarizona through PM or find me a https://bryanhullihen.wordpress.com/. I can point you in the right direction and show you how to build your support group like I did and like so many others I know have done. You don't, and probably can't, do this alone and my help is here for you for free if you want it. Thank you all so much for your time and support and I look forward to reading your comments.

Your friend,



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bryan Hullihen talks about early recovery and his early days following prison

Bryan Hullihen and The path to success

Bryan Hullihen and the Mental Shift