Bryan Hullihen Talks About Physical Fitness in Early Recovery


My name is Bryan Hullihen and I am not only personally in recovery from alcoholism and drug addiction for many years now but I have also dedicated my life to helping others do the same. At one time in my life every waking moment was dedicated to self-destruction whereas now the opposite is true. Now my personal motto is "go further" which I apply to every area of personal development in my life. Physically, mentally, spiritually, and interpersonally I strive to go further and pack what I can into the stream of life. One area that I particularly enjoy is that of physical fitness. I not only enjoy this activity but I also see its significance for those in recovery. Our bodies are the vehicles that, when we are able, must be taken care of to the best of our abilities as physical fitness is one aspect of life that is somewhat controllable. This, of course, is barring only injuries or handicaps that would prevent or limit physical activity. When I say controllable I mean to say that many of our thoughts in early recovery are scattered and sick and in a very real way out of our control while everything else outside of ourselves is also beyond our control. Taking care of our physical fitness is within the realm of our control and through living an active lifestyle comes a tremendous amount of ancillary benefits to those in early recovery. For one thing it is extremely difficult to do any "mindreading" a fun habit for most people in early recovery, while engaging in a tough workout. It is also hard to have all the answers when breaking a sweat. Early recovery is a time that, for most people, the mind seems to be in attack mode against itself and physical fitness has a way of turning that assault off. Getting the body in motion is all that is required to make a start and the goal is not to set out to break any records. A healthy lifestyle is one of balance between the mental, physical, and spiritual and each one of these areas affects the other. When we get our bodies moving each day we are controlling the controllable and, over time, our brains clear up and spirits become unencumbered. This takes work and attention to every aspect of life including that of physical fitness so make being active a part of your early recovery strategy. Thank you for your time and support and I look forward to reading your comments.

Your friend,
Bryan Hullihen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bryan Hullihen talks about early recovery and his early days following prison

Bryan Hullihen and The path to success

Bryan Hullihen and the Mental Shift